Sunday 11 September 2016

Journeys's end and home

Decided to get up early skip breakfast and try and get on an earlier Eurotunnel crossing. Steve had the same idea and set off a bit earlier  than I while I sat and tried to quell the hangover with a couple of cups of tea chatting to Ian who was the onlg other one up later jouned by our tour leader I got underway at about 7.15 and stopped off for pain au chocolate at patisserie en route somewhere in the Ardennes. 

Just as I was pulling away Ian and Nadia rode through swiftly followed by GSA Steve. Around this time it started to rain and since I had no linings in my suit I stopped again in a lay by to don my over trousers and jacket.

Later I caught up with Ian and Nadia at a motorway services when I pulled in to fill up. We left around the same time, Ian heading for tobacco alley in Belgium. The rain had stopped miles before and it looked brighter now. 

I pressed on and made the Tunnel in good time and booked on the 12.20. Chatted to a guy who was returning home somewhere up north on a red VFR. His day job was a Police motorcyclist riding RT's and his mate who wasn't with him had some bad luck. While riding across a causeway to a castle in northern France barely a day into their trip his mate dropped his bike off the side of the causeway into the sea. The bike sucked water into the engine and it seized. He had to get his bike repatriated and caught the ferry after renting a car to get home leaving his mate to abandon the trip and ride home alone. Felt really sorry for both of them. Just shows how a trip can turn sour so I'm counting my blessings I'm now home with a whole load of new happy memories of Mountains : Alps.

The usual niggles around the M25 on the way back. Made it home by 4pm relieved to see the weather was good in the UK. Received a text from Steve to say he was home at 2pm so all good.

What an amazing trip. Really enjoyed Steve's company and with an organised trip like this I met other like minded bikers. Lots of good humour and banter and really well organised and managed by Steve the tour leader. The Alps and the Vosges were even better than I could have hoped, superb weather too. September is a good time to ride the Alps as there were fewer tourists about.

As is usual I will upload better quality photos and GoPro videos over the next week or so, watch this space!



No comments:

Post a Comment